Home Education~Ministry Moments~Hearth and Home

Friday, July 8, 2011

My Top Picks for Summer (or anytime) Read Aloud Books

This is a list of some of my favorite books I have read aloud to my kids over the years (mostly via Sonlight, our home education curriculum):

(The books are listed by approxitmate read-aloud age.  So just adjust accordingly if you want your child to read him/herself.)  I love reading aloud to my boys...I really miss it when we are out of "school" and it is not part of our daily routine.  I have managed to read some to them, though.  They do lots of independent reading in the summer.

For younger kids (Preschool-2nd Grade)
1. The Giving Tree (Shel Silverstein)
2. The Lorax (Dr. Seuss)
3. Coat of Many Colors ( Dolly Parton)
4. The Hundred Dresses (Doesn't sound like a book on bullying, does it?)
5. Charlotte's Web (I cry every time!)
6. Mr. Popper's Penguins (Can't vouch for the movie, haven't seen it yet...my kids loved the book!)
7. The Year of Mrs. Agnes (Hill)
8. The Cricket in Times Square (goes with our NYC VBS theme!)
9. Strawberry Girl (Not a "girlie" book in the least!)
10. Detectives in Togas (Winterfield)

For 3rd -6th:
1. Johnny Tremain (Forbes)
2. Carry on, Mr. Bowditch (Newberry Award)
3. The Witch of Blackbird Pond (one of my all time favs...and no witches!)
4. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (Newberry Award)
5. The House of Sixty Fathers (Newberry Award)
6. The Wolves of Wiloughby Chase (Aiken)

And.....of course, a GREAT SERIES FOR ALL AGES....you can't go wrong with....THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA!  (Can't believe I never read these as a child....My husband  was so shocked...!)

I hope you get a chance to read a few of these with your kids.  I really think you will love the stories!  Leave a post if you get to read any of them a give us a book review!  (But, don't give away the ending for others!  haha!)

Happy Reading!!

Letha

*I know there are more Newberry books in this list.  I just did not mention them all.

No comments: