Home Education~Ministry Moments~Hearth and Home

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Recipe~"Real" Tacos

 
 
     For years I have been a little frustrated with my kids that they would not eat tacos.  I thought, "What is wrong with them, all kids like tacos!"  (My frustration really came from the fact tacos were easy, etc....but on the other hand I was also pretty pleased that my children had a dislike for something with MSG and other "stuff".)
      Over the past year, I have been finding/collecting recipes for homemade tacos.  Homemade as in no seasoning packet.  (I finally figured out that was the part they did not like.)  After looking at several recipes, I chose the ingredients that I thought my family would like best.  I was sooo excited how much we ALL LOVED these tacos!
 
 
 
Here is the final concoction:
(All amounts are estimated.  I do not measure any of the ingredients.  Just season to taste.)
 
*Brown one lb. ground beef (We like using organic.)
*Add one small yellow onion, chopped.  (My family loves onion...I can never add too much.)
*1 clove fresh garlic, minced
*1 Serrano pepper (I love the mildness of this pepper...I have never seen this in a recipe for taco meat, but I love that it gives a good flavor without the heat.)
 
 
*After onions are cooked down, add chili powder and cumin. I add about 1 tsp. each. Add more if you want more flavor.  (You can add a pinch or two of salt here if you like.)
*Add about a 1/2 cup of water until it cooks down.


 
* For the "shell": We do not like the typical crunchy taco shell at our house. I found these great tortillas--I just love the "real" Mexican flavor they have...it goes perfectly with our "real" taco meat!

 
Add cheese, sour cream, and iceberg lettuce. 
 
 
I served this with a side of fruit...now a FAMILY FAVORITE!!  I just love it when I fix something we all love!  This was an easy, flavorful meal--- and I dare say cheaper or as cheap as the packet of taco mix.  (My Serrano pepper was 8 cents!)  I know it tasted way better, and something I feel much better about feeding my family.  :)
 


No comments: