Home Education~Ministry Moments~Hearth and Home

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Temptation to say "No"

     Two weeks ago I started something new.  I began helping out with our youth on Wednesdays by leading a small group for the Jr. High girls.  I love it.  Week before last the lesson was on temptation.  Our conversation during small group got me to thinking more on the subject.
     When you think about being tempted, what comes to mind?  For most, I think it's the temptation to do things.  We're tempted to say, "yes" to more chocolate, "yes" to a movie we have no business watching, "yes" to gossiping with our friends, "yes" to peer pressure, "yes" to our fleshly desires, "yes" to signing up for non-stop activities when we know it will eat away at our home life...
     As I pondered the whole idea of temptation, I tried to think about my own life and the lives of other Christians.  I think we many times allow ourselves to be deceived into thinking that we really don't struggle with temptation.  We are good, church-going Christians after all.   We lie to ourselves, "It's not like we're giving into those really sinful temptations.  I'm okay."
     BUT...consider with me for a moment another kind of temptation.  One I had not really thought about until I did some pondering last week.  The temptation to not do things.  How often are we tempted to say "No" to reading our Bible?  "No" to witnessing to someone when the Holy Spirit  prompts us?  "No" to giving of our time and energy for others when we don't feel like it?   "No" to church attendance?  "No" to praying for longer than 30 seconds?  "No" to writing a note or making a phone call to someone who needs it? 
     Just something to think about.  Whatever our temptation...whether we are tempted to say "yes" or to say "no," let's remember: "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.  The spirit is willing, but the body is weak."  (Matthew 26:41)
      

No comments: