Home Education~Ministry Moments~Hearth and Home

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

GratiTuesday: "My Utmost for His Highest"

     This past week I have switched to a different devotional guide for my quiet time.  I no longer have easy access to a women's devotional magazine, and knew this would be a good time to try something new.  I decided to read the classic, "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers.  My husband had it in his pastoral library, and he brought it home for me.   I have to admit, when I opened it I was a little disappointed.  The devotions looked really short and there was only one verse to go with each day.  I wanted more than that. 
     I decided to give it a try anyway.  Boy, was I surprised!  Chambers knew how to pack a lot onto a small page.  Most days, he refers to other passages that I can read, or the devotion for the day just makes me want to read the entire passage from which the selected verse was chosen. His devotional readings really make one think!  First of all, it is written differently than we speak today...but also because the man was obviously gifted at thinking/writing about spiritual things.  I ususally end up reading the devotion several times, digging deep into the message.  (After telling my preacher husband this he said, "That book hasn't been around for 100 years for nothin'!")
      I can't believe I have never read this classic devotional book before!  (I mean, shouldn't that have been a requirement before we left seminary or something??...hehe!)  I encourage you to give it a try if you haven't already.



Just Pitching my Tent
(In a world that is not my home),

Letha




No comments: