Home Education~Ministry Moments~Hearth and Home

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

GratiTuesday ("Skipping Thanksgiving")

     Have you heard?  Has anyone noticed?  It seems more obvious this year than ever before.  Yesterday (Halloween Day) as I walked into a store, I saw the store clerks clearing the shelves for all the Christmas decor and goodies.  (I had hoped this would mean great deals on fall things, but no such luck--there were not any to be found!)  "Christmas comes earlier every year" is something I've heard for as long as I can remember...but on Halloween morning???   It breaks my heart that the world seems to want to "skip" Thanksgiving---and head straight for "Happy Holidays".
     I really cannot blame the retailers or the world for this.  Many of them are lost.  They are also trying to make a buck in this economy.  I just don't want this notion of "skipping Thanksgiving" to seep into my heart.  I need to guard against that---everyday---not just in November. Romans 12:2 says, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind...." 
     This topic brought up some great conversation with my family over lunch yesterday.  I really liked how my older son saw it.  He said it is not that upsetting that they are putting up Christmas things...because we love the real meaning of Christmas.  What was upsetting to him was the motivation behind it.  It was about "getting stuff" instead of celebrating Christ's birth.  (And then I said, "Son, would you like to be a guest blogger for me sometime?")
     Last night my family watched Swiss Family Robinson.  Our boys LOVED it!  Near the beginning of the movie, though, we noticed part of a scene was left out.  When the family escapes death and makes it to the shore of the island, they pause to pray and thank God for their safety. (Sound like a familiar story?)   As soon as you see them put their hands together, the movie went to commercial.  When the movie came back on, it was at a totally different scene!  They skipped the prayer!  They skipped "Thanksgiving"!
     So, on this "GratiTuesday"  I want to encourage you to to not "skip Thanksgiving".  Don't conform to the world.  Sure, go ahead and get some Christmas shopping done.  Order your Christmas cards.  Definitely fill up those shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child.  Just don't forget about Thanksgiving and our Lord and Savior to whom we are eternally grateful!

Letha

No comments: