Home Education~Ministry Moments~Hearth and Home

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Handmade (All Natural) Liquid Soap

     I have told you about one of my favorite new blogs, Heavenly Homemakers.  I also told you I would be trying out some of her ideas/recipes and letting you know how it went.  I decided to try and make her liquid soap. 
     Have you ever read the ingredients to the liquid soap you buy at the store?  Pretty scary.  I had not really thought about it until I read her blog post about the soap.  I am one of those people who wash their hands A LOT, so I thought it would be a good idea to go for all-natural and cheap!! 
     I'm excited to share this process with you.  Making your own soap instead of buying it can save lots of money.  I think mine came to about a $1.00 per half gallon.  This would cost about $4-$5 in the store.  It also gives one a great sense of accomplishment.  And this is not even a real comparison, because my soap is organic....now, organic soap purchased at the store would be crazy expensive.



Here are the easy steps:

You will need a 4 oz. bar of soap.  I purchased mine at Publix.  There were several choices, but I chose one that did not smell "girly" since I live with 3 boys!  Grate the soap.


Bring a gallon of water to a STEAM.


I grated my soap while I waited for the water to steam. 



Stir in the grated soap until dissolved.  You may want to use a handmixer.  I just stirred mine.


Let it sit overnight.  Stir well.  Again, if you have one, use a handmixer.


I filled up my empty liquid soap container, as well as half of a gallon of an empty water jug.


Note:  I found that this soap needs shaking up some.  I also found that it works really well after it has been in the containers for about a week.  My family likes it (the boys haven't even noticed) and it smells wonderful.  Let me know if you decide to give it a try! 

Blessings,
Letha



No comments: