Home Education~Ministry Moments~Hearth and Home

Friday, December 2, 2011

What do I do with the Wise Men?

     Every year as I set up my Nativity set, I say to myself, "I don't know why the Wise Men are in here, they weren't even there yet."   (Matthew Chapter 2 tells us that the Magi visited Jesus in a house.)  But I don't know what else to do with them.  I say to myself, "It's just symbolic, get over it!" 

     The other day I was reading the December issue of HomeLife, and they had a great idea!  Place the Wise Men somewhere else in your home, as if the Magi are on the journey to find the Christ Child.  How excited I was!!  I would be able to remain biblical, yet still display my Wise Men!  I want to share with you a new spot for our Wise Men.  I decided to not put them alongside Mary, Joseph, Baby Jesus and the Shepherd.  This year they are in another spot in the house.  (I wanted them to be traveling from the east side of the house, but I couldn't find a good spot. (And by "good" I mean  "novel, but not tacky".)  So even though they are traveling from the west, here they are on my mantle traveling to find Jesus. 

It would probably be 2 years before they found him, but you get the idea.  It has already brought up a good conversation with one of my sons.  We talked about things that are tradition, but not necessarily in the Bible.    

I would encourage everyone to have a nativity set in their home that takes center stage.  If you have young children, a nativity set that they can touch and play with is a great idea.

1 comment:

Megan said...

That's a great idea. I know they weren't there at the time, also, but have never thought to separate them from the traditional set! :)