Home Education~Ministry Moments~Hearth and Home

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

An "Extra" Day

     For those of you that may not know, today is Leap Day.  The one day every four years where February 29th is on our calendars.  Non-scientifically speaking, we get this day in order to evenly space out day/night/seasons, else they would get all wompy-jawed (or something like that!) 
     I had thought several weeks ago how meaningful it would be to do something special on this day.  You know, something to really make a difference.  I wish I could tell you my children and I will be spending the day at the nursing home, or at the soup kitchen.  But we're not.  Our day will be spent going to piano practice, the orthodontist, the grocery store and church. (With homeschool sandwiched amongst all of that!)
     The fact that I have an "extra" day this morning has given me pause.  Psalm 90:12 came to mind.  "Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."  This verse is a great reminder of the brevity of life.  These words from the Bible cause me to want to focus on things of eternal vaule.  Every day is precious, none is promised.  I had this verse posted for a while in my home...I needed that daily reminder.
     I encourage you, as you go throughout your day today, to think about how you are spending or want to spend your "extra" day.  I know I will.  And I will strive to think about that everyday...because, you know...they are ALL extra.  "Now listen, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.'  Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow.  What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought ot say, 'If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that.'"

Just pitching my tent
(in a world that is not my home),

Letha

No comments: