Home Education~Ministry Moments~Hearth and Home

Monday, October 17, 2011

"Sticks and Stones" YUMMY Trailmix

     My family just got back from a weekend get-away with some great friends at a DeSoto State Park.  (What a wonderful and beautiful weekend!)  Before leaving, I thought it might be fun to try out a recipe for a trail mix I've had for a while.  I got the recipe from Family Fun Magazine.  It is a healthy snack sweetened with juice and brown sugar.  My friends and family enjoyed it so much!  I hope you do, too!

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup frozen orange or apple juice concentrate (I used apple.)
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 cups Quaker Oatmeal Squares (I used the brown sugar flavor.)
2 cups pretzel sticks
1 1/2 cup whole almonds (unsalted)
1 cup raisins or dried cranberries (I used dried cranberries.)


Heat the oven to 300 degrees.  Place the butter, juice concentrate, and sugar in a large, microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 45 seconds to melt the butter.  Stir in the cinnamon.


Spread the oatmeal squares, pretzels and almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet. 


Toss the pieces with the melted butter mixture to coat.  Bake the mix, stirring the pieces every 10 minutes , until the mixture is dry to the touch (it will still be a little sticky) and the nuts are lightly toasted, about 30 minutes. 


Remove the pan from the oven, then stir in the dried fruit.  Let the mix cool completely before storing it in an airtight container.  Makes about 7 cups. 

***A bonus: This will make your home smell DELICIOUS! 






No comments: