Home Education~Ministry Moments~Hearth and Home

Monday, January 30, 2012

Something About Homeschooling I Really Didn't See Coming

    
Homeschooling Hearts & Minds
The Virtual Curriculum Fair Final Week: The Nuts and Bolts of Homeschooling

     5 1/2 years ago I had plans.  I was going to take on the full and complete responsibility for my children's education.  Why? (*) Because it was best for them.  They would learn so much from the  books I had ordered.  My sons would continue to grow closer together.  They would have a great teacher-student ratio.  The curriculum would be tailor-made to suit their interests and abilities. They would get ample outside playtime.  There would be hands-on science every week.  They would get to spend more time with their dad.  Homeschooling would enable them to spend more time with other people not their same age.  How GREAT this would be for my kids!
     Fast-forward a few months, maybe even a year.  I can't remember exactly.  I just remember one day it hit me:  God didn't just call us to homeschool for our children's sake.  He also called us to homeschool for my sake.  I needed to homeschool my children.  Apparently, I need(ed) help in the areas of patience and diligence, because those are the two muscles that have gotten the most workout since I/we started homeschooling.  God knew that spending numerous hours with my offspring would help to develop my patience.  He knew that waking up 170 days out of a year and "being on the ball" as teacher to my sweet boys would work diligence into my character. 
     Homeschooling has been wonderful for my kids.  Pretty much everything I mentioned above has occured.  Homeschooling has been great for me as well.  I have not "arrived", but I am starting to see growth in the areas I mentioned. I am more patient with my kids that I once was.  It gets easier to be diligent about our studies, as I can now see some of the fruit of my labor and now have an even deeper conviction to homeschool than I did in the beginning.
      I am most thankful to God for His patience and diligence as he continues to work in and through me. 
    
"Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."  Philippians 1:6


(*Note: The biggest Why?: Because God told us to do it...but that's another post!!!)



Check out these other links from the Virtual Curriculum Fair:









2 comments:

Susan said...

So very true. ;0)
Thank you for sharing your "lesson" with the Virtual Curriculum Fair.

Anonymous said...

Wow. i didnt see this coming either. God call us to homeschool for our character development. great post. thanks for sharing.