Home Education~Ministry Moments~Hearth and Home

Friday, October 26, 2012

Poetry Day with Friends

     My kids and I had a great time with some of our homeschool friends yesterday.  We had "Poetry Day".  It worked out that I taught the younger kids (i.e. her kids) and my dear friend taught the older kids (i.e. my kids).  That was really fun.!  Worked out marvelously, I thought. 
 
We started off our time together with poems by each of the students.  Everyone did a great job; we were all entertained!
 
 
 

    
 
Younger Kid's Poetry Activities:
 
     I chose to focus on fall poetry.  I read my students several poems I found at Primary Success.  They listened very attentively, and seemed to enjoy them.  A few of the poems about fall were interactive, so that was fun.  Our main activity was writing an acrostic poem.  We brainstormed lots of autumnal words, but the overall favorite was "Pumpkin".
 
First, we did a "rough draft" together.

Everybody did their own and decorated it.

(with these!)


 

This poem can be found at DLTK
 
 
Older Kids' Poetry Activities
 
   My two had a great time having a new teacher for the afternoon! 
 

"Found Poems"
 


Reading his poem to a friend. 



 
 


Black-out Poems
(Taken from a passage from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe)
Obviously, this new teacher really gets my kids!  :)



 

No comments: